Dave McRae is a real estate, business and banking lawyer who has been advising and assisting parties in commercial transactions for more than 20 years. Dave prepares, reviews, and negotiates purchase and sale contracts, deeds, leases, loan documents, business agreements, and many other types of agreements, and provides sure, steady, seasoned counsel to help his clients attain their transactional goals.
Dave offers the knowledge, skill, and experience, both legal and practical, to structure, negotiate, document, and consummate each real estate, lending and/or business transaction, large or small, in a way that achieves the client’s core objectives while also being right on the details. A talented business communicator, Dave gets to the heart of the issues and works to secure clear, firm, fair and reasonable contractual terms for his clients, in a professional and trustworthy manner.
In the early years of his legal career, Dave was a public interest attorney for a national consumer safety advocacy organization in Washington, DC. Before entering law school, he worked for over 7 years in the field of business-to-business marketing, technical, and corporate communications, first for an international manufacturing corporation headquartered in Colorado, and then for an international biotech corporation headquartered in Maryland.
Transactions handled by Dave include:
- real property purchase and sale
- leasing (including office, retail, restaurant, warehouse, mixed-use, storage/parking lot, vacant land; also including long-term ground leases) – whether as landlord’s counsel or tenant’s counsel
- lease amendments, terminations, assignments, and subleases
- institutional (bank or credit union) commercial-purpose loans – whether as lender’s counsel or borrower’s counsel
- private money loans
- loan modification and workout transactions, deed in lieu of foreclosure agreements, REO sales, short sales, and loan acquisition transactions
- license agreements
- condominium formation and conversion (residential, commercial, or mixed-use); also including land condominiums
- HOA formation
- easements, covenants and restrictions on land
- deeds of all types; property retitling, title cleanup, and resolution of title disputes
- co-ownership agreements
- tax sale redemption
- boundary line disputes; agreements between neighboring owners
- co-op unit transfers
- property development and entitlements
- zoning variances and special exceptions
- business entity formation and governance documents (LLC, corporate, partnership, etc.)
- real estate and business joint ventures
- business acquisitions and dispositions
- private placement memoranda and subscription agreements
- many others
- Dave has been following a 100% whole-food, plant-based (“healthy vegan”) dietary lifestyle since 2011, and helps his wife run one of the largest WFPB meetup groups in the U.S., based in Howard County, with monthly potlucks (nowadays being held in Ellicott City) typically attracting 70 to 100+ attendees, among other events.
- Dave is a lifelong crossword enthusiast, especially the cryptic style from the UK. He loves solving many other types of puzzles as well.
- Dave carries a green ink pen with him at all times. Just because.