Cynthia Rodgers-Waire wanted to be an attorney at a very young age, admittedly before she had any real idea why. It was a good hunch, as she turned out to be a very good one who has received a number of recognitions for her work and helps lead two very distinguished practice groups at Wright, Constable & Skeen.
Ms. Rodgers-Waire has been practicing law in Maryland and the surrounding region for more than twenty years. She focuses her practice on the areas of construction, mediation and arbitration law, surety and fidelity law. She assists clients with contract drafting and negotiation. She also provides advice regarding performance issues and claim analysis with an eye toward minimizing and efficiently resolving disputes. She has represented owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and sureties in federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate levels, as well as in various forms of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
Ms. Rodgers-Waire is a self-described perfectionist who prides herself on organization and attention to detail. She enjoys her work for the challenges that come with juggling different types of tasks, and the satisfaction derived from adding value for clients. She is extremely complimentary of the other members of her team at Wright, Constable & Skeen, pointing to a collegial atmosphere within the group and a desire to work together for the best results.
- Avalon Bay Communities Inc. v. San Jose Water Conservation Corp. et al., United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Case No. 07-00306-GBL-TRJ
- Avalon Bay Communities Inc. v. Tetra Tech, Inc., et al., United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Case No. 08-00777-TRJ
- Seaboard Sur. Co. v. Boney, 135 Md. App. 99, 761 A.2d 985 (2000)
- United States f/b/o East Coast Contracting, Inc. v. USF&G, No. 04-2098 (4th Cir. 2005) – unpublished
- AvalonBay Communities, Inc. v. Willden, et al., No. 09-2339 (4th Cir. 2010) – unpublished
- Surety and fidelity companies
- Owners, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers
- American Bar Association – Fidelity & Surety Law Committee of the Tort & Insurance Practice Section; Forum on the Construction Industry
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Surety Claims Institute
- Philadelphia Surety Claims Association
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Baltimore Metro Area
- Wright, Constable & Skeen (2009 – Present)
- Whiteford, Taylor & Preston (1997 – 2009)
- Albright, Brown & Goertemiller (1993 – 1997)
- Judicial Law Clerk, Circuit Court of Maryland for Baltimore City (1992 – 1993)
- Co-Author: “The Preclusive Effect of a Principal’s Default Judgment or Default Arbitration Award and the Impact of the Decision” 23rd Annual Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, September 2012
- Author: “When Does the Statue of Limitation Run on Payment Bond Claims?” Published in For the Defense (Defense Research Institute, March 2013)
- Co-Author: “Jury Trial Issues in Surety and Fidelity Litigation” (22nd Annual Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, September 2011)
- Co-Author: “Regulating Ethics – Attempts to Regulate Surety Claims Practices” (21st Annual Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, September 2010)
- Co-Author: “A Practical Guide to Avoiding the Pitfalls and Expense of Protracted Disputes over Document Production and E-Discovery” (20th Annual Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, September 2009)
- Contributing Author to the Surety´s Indemnity Agreement: Law Practice, 2d Ed. Chapter 3, in the areas of Documents and Agreements related to the Indemnity Agreement. Tort and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association (Marilyn Klinger and George J. Bachrach, Eds. 2008).
- Co-Author: “A Primer on the Tucker Act” (Surety Claims Institute Annual Meeting, June 2008).
- Author: “Consultant and Expert Witness Claim Files: Are They an Open Book?” (18th Annual Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, September 2007).
- Contributing Author to The Payment Bond Manual, Third Edition (Maryland section). Tort and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association (Wayne D. Lambert, Todd R. Braggins, and J. Blake Wilcox, Eds. 2006).
- Contributing Author to The Performance Bond Manual (Maryland Section). Tort and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association (Lawrence Lerner and Theodore M. Baum, Eds. 2006).
- Co-Author: “Surety´s Rights to the Contract Funds in the Principal´s Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case,” 35 Tort & Ins. Law Journal 1 (Fall 1999)
- Author: “The Surety´s Use of Prompt Payment Statutes to Obtain Control of Contract Funds,” (9th Annual Northeast Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, October 1998)
Surety Today® 30-minute tele-briefings on narrowly-focused topics for surety company attorneys and surety claims professionals – Frequent Co-host. To view or listen to past presentations click here.
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland Board of Directors – August 2016 – Present.