Corporate and Business Law
We devote a substantial segment of our practice to corporate, general business and commercial matters. From structuring new ventures to specialized and complex problem-solving, we handle a full range of issues for publicly held companies, small- to mid-sized businesses, sole proprietorships, and other members of the business community.
Our areas of concentration include the following:
- Taxes—We provide counsel in tax matters for corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and individuals; tax issues involved in real estate transactions, non-profit institutions, employee benefits, trust and estate planning and administration, and civil and criminal tax controversies.
- Real Estate—We represent sellers, buyers, developers, syndicates, lenders and borrowers in commercial and residential transactions on matters including sales, leases, finance, construction, zoning and the environment.
- Employer/Employee Relations—We handle matters relating to civil rights, employment agreements, labor disputes, occupational health and safety problems, federal and state laws and regulations and retirement plans; advising on employee handbooks, confidentiality agreements, non-competition covenants, deferred compensation plans and pension and profit-sharing benefit plans.
- Creditors’ Rights—We represent banks and other financial institutions, equipment leasing companies and other businesses in connection with loans, workouts, state receivership proceedings and general collection matters.
- Financial Services—We represent banks, savings and loans, credit unions, and other lenders in documenting consumer and business loan and lease transactions and enforcing collection;. We also represent borrowers, with a particular emphasis on commercial transactions such as real estate, asset-based and other secured financing.
- Mergers and Acquisitions—We assist clients in negotiations, drafting documents, tax planning and financing. We represent many financial institutions in preparing all required commercial loan documentation..
- Legislative and Regulatory Law—We focus on public utility regulations, energy, environment, transportation and tax before most state and many federal regulatory agencies.
- International Transactions—We counsel U.S. and foreign clients in international contracts, licensing agreements, joint ventures, export and import regulations and documentation, financing, immigration, customs and dispute resolution.
Our Corporate and Business Planning Section meets regularly to keep abreast of changes in the law and new areas of interest to our clients. We encourage all of our professionals to attend seminars and remain well-informed in their areas of emphasis.