Direct Dial (410)-659-1312
Fax (410) 659-1350
Areas of Practice
- Employment and Labor
- Insurance Defense
Maryland Super Lawyers®, for Employment & Labor, 2009-2015
Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care 2012
Martindale-Hubbell 2012 Top Rated Lawyers in Baltimore for Labor and Employment
Elected to the Board of Directors of The Harmonie Group 2012-2015.
AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell,
Martindale-Hubbell's 2014 Washington D.C. & Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers
Bachelor of Law, University of Maryland School of Law, 1967, Maryland Law Review Editorial Board, 1966-1967; Maryland Law Review, 1965-1967
Bachelor of Science, Economics, Wharton School of Finance and Commerce, University of Pennsylvania 1963
All Maryland State courts
United States District Court for the District of Maryland and the District of Columbia
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Military Appeals
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Monte Fried is a strong leader and an effective problem solver who is also the former managing partner of Wright, Constable & Skeen.
“Monte is an innately smart attorney with good judgment who has a passion for both his clients and his area of practice,” said WC&S attorney Paul Evelius.
Mr. Fried spent the first 24 years of his career practicing law at a large law firm that employed as many as 225 attorneys. He emphasizes the importance of value and relationship for the client in his practice. These values are sometimes lost at large firms, a sentiment that led him to pursue a career at Wright, Constable & Skeen.
Mr. Fried was also a certified public accountant and was encouraged by many to be a tax lawyer. However, he gravitated to the practice of labor and employment law because he enjoyed addressing and solving day to day legal problems that arise in the workplace through direct and regular contact with clients and their employees. Many of his clients have avoided serious legal exposure by consulting with him before they take proposed employment actions, such as terminations, layoffs, and other disciplinary actions.
Mr. Fried takes pride in finding solutions to problems and avoiding the time and cost of litigation for his clients., He understands the realities of conflicts and takes a prepared approach that is always considerate of having to “go the distance” through litigation. He has been selected and designated as a SuperLawyer® in labor and employment law for a number of years.
Mr. Fried came to WC&S in 1992 where he has enjoyed working in a more intimate environment and served as the Managing Partner for twelve years. His practice has expanded to cover other areas such as insurance defense which involves litigation relating to the transportation industry, professional liability, and general liability. He is the firm’s former liaison to the Harmonie Group, an international network of elite and vetted law firms which provides defense services to TPA’s, insurance companies and self-insured. He served on Harmonie’s Board of Directors from 2012 through 2015.
Mr. Fried retired from the full –time practice of law in July of 2015. He has remained Of Counsel to the firm, and continues to serve its clients.
When off the clock, Mr. Fried can typically be found at the beach alongside his wife, where he likes to kayak, bike, walk, read, and enjoy taking in the sun at Bethany Beach. Together, they have four children and six grandchildren.
- Construction companies
- Health Care providers
- Insurance companies
- Race track vendors
- Real estate management companies
- Transportation companies (buses, par transit vehicles, management executives)
- Partner, Frank, Bernstein, Conaway & Goldman (1972-1992)
- Captain, Judge Advocate General Corps, USAR (1971-1976)
Selected Professional Affiliations
- Chairman, Character Committee of the Court of Appeals of Maryland for the Sixth Appellate Circuit, 1988 to 2015.
- Member, American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Maryland Association of Trial Defense Counsel, 1994 to 2015
- Defense Research Institute, 2002 to present
- Harmonie Group – Liaison (1995 to 2015); Board of Directors – (2012 to 2015)
- Chairman, Roads Committee Ocean Farm Home Owners Association (2008 – 2012)
- Jewish Community Center – Chairman (1985-1987); Executive Committee (1978-1985)
- Associated Jewish Charities – Board of Directors (1985-1987)
- Maryland Volunteer Lawyer Service (MVLS)
- Author, “Supreme Court Expands Employers´ Duty to Turn the Other Cheek”, WC&S Viewpoints (Summer 2006)
- Author, “Will the Proposed Safe Nursing and Patient Care Act Improve Medical Care?”, The Daily Record (August 8, 2003)
- Author, “Supreme Court to Rule on Enforceability of Arbitration Agreements in Employment”, The Daily Record (February 21, 2001)
- Title VII and the Bona Fide Occupational Qualification Exception — Must Hooters Hire Male Servers? – Wranglers Law Club, Baltimore, Maryland (February 1996)
- Author, “The Americans with Disabilities Act and its Impact on Health Care Professionals”, Monograph of the Sixth Annual Conference on Addiction and Mental Health, Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland (October 1995)
- Author, “Providing Your Employees a Family Leave”, Warfield’s Business Record, Small Business Guide (August 1994)
- Co-Author, “Consensual Relationships – A Potential Sexual Harassment Problem”, Maryland Employers Guide to Preventing Sexual Harassment, Maryland Chamber of Commerce (November 1994)
- Co-Author, “Employment Law Update”, Metro MBE (June 1993)
- Author, “Family and Medical Leave Act”, Printing Industries of Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania (October 1993)
- Author, “Meeting the Economic Challenge of a New Era in Health Care and Family Leave Benefits”, Baltimore County Chamber of Commerce (June 1993)
- Author, “Drug Testing Programs Can Add Profits, as Well as Pay Off in More Productivity”, The Daily Record (April 23, 1993).
- Author, “The Changing Workplace”, Center for Port Related Industries, Point Breeze Maritime Center (November 9, 1993)
- Author, “The Truth About Lie Detectors in Maryland”, Maryland Bar Journal (November 1985)
- Faculty and Speaker, “Fundamentals of the Employment Relationship”, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, Inc., Baltimore, Maryland, May 1995 – 2002, 2006
- Speaker, “Title VII and the Bona Fide Occupational Qualification Exception — Must Hooters Hire Male Servers?”, Wranglers Law Club, Baltimore, Maryland (February 1996)
- Speaker, “The Americans With Disabilities Act and its Impact on Health Care Professionals”, Monograph of the Sixth Annual Conference on Addiction and Mental Health, Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland (October 1995)
- Faculty and Speaker, “Defense of a Discrimination Case”, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, Inc., Baltimore and Rockville, Maryland, October 1992